Subtraction of Two Signed Numbers
- Rewrite Subtraction as Addition
- Keep the first number (the minuend) the same
- Change Subtraction to Addition
- Flip the sign of the second number (the subtrahend)
- Add the Integers
- If the signs are the same, then ignore the signs and add the numbers
- If the signs are different, then ignore the signs and calculate
"Larger" - "Smaller"
- The Result will take the sign of the "Larger"
- "Larger refers to the larger of the numbers when signs are ignored"
- "Smaller refers to the smaller of the numbers when signs are ignored"
printable pdf version
Copyright 2022, Ronald H. Moore